Thursday, December 3, 2009

Week 9: Social Tools and Cloud Computing

This week in class we learned about a new wave of technology that is sweeping the Internet. Cloud computing allows you to use server-based applications as a service rather than being tied to a specific platform on a specific machine or device. Sites like Google for example are already producing applications and tools that use this technology. Google Docs allow you to create or edit documents from any computer and virtually save them. This makes it very easy to work with a group or share your documents with people all over the world.

Cloud computing can be used all over the journalism field. I've already used Google Docs to write stories and edit them. It makes it very convenient, especially when you are on a deadline. Some times I am out interviewing sources and cannot access my computer or go home to write on my own Laptop. If I use Google Docs, I can still get to my story and work on it from any location.


Here is a Youtube video that explains cloud computing in simple terms. I think this is an important concept to understand and definitely worth a few minutes of your time to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment