Saturday, December 5, 2009

Week 13: Distance education and virtual schooling

Our discussion in class today provoked a lot of serious questions about the future of college as we know it.  Our instructor showed us Second Life, a virtual world where users can create a character and travel around lifelike places.  Second Life is already being used by universities to hold online classes.  Students can go online and essentially "meet" their instructor in a virtual museum and go on a virtual tour.  

I think the potential is absolutely enormous for what can be done with this technology.  I am enrolled in a couple of online, distance learning classes at U
F right now.  Currently all I do for an online class is log into my e-learning account and check updates on assignments and tests.  There is little room for instructors to be hands on or personal.  In fact, in most of my online classes I hardly have contact with any other classmates or the instructor.   

If technology like Second Life continues to develop and improve, classes will be able to be held online and be even better than classes in person.  In my journalism classes now, I have to meet with instructors to go over my writing and learn how to improve it.  These classes are impossible to put online with UF's current system, but with a combination of Second Life, video chatting, and a few other resources, it could definitely be made possible.

Here is a screen shot of the current system for online classes at UF: e-learning.  Compare this 2-D, simple layout with the screen shot of a class being held in Second Life below.  Second Life is already being used for distance learning at some universities.

No comments:

Post a Comment